"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~the Grey Pilgrim

Take a peek, into my world!

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

TESLA

TESLA Review So, this weekend, Hunny and I indulged our champagne taste in Chicago with a test drive of the Tesla Model S. I have test driven the Honda Insight, Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt, Toyota Camry hybrid, Hyundai Sonata hybrid, Kia Optima hybrid and ridden in a Toyota Prius. I have test driven Mercedes, Cadillacs, Lincolns, Acuras, Hyundai Genesis, Kia Cadenza. So, needless to say, I'm quite familiar with all the current electrics, hybrids and entry-level luxury vehicles. Of all the electric/hybrid vehicles that I have driven before yesterday, surprisingly Hunny and I have both been impressed with the overall quality, fit & finish of the Nissan Leaf. It is a great little compact vehicle (easily sits four adults), handles well, and except for the range limit that makes it slightly less useful for *our* needs. If I lived in a town of 30-40K I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. Enter TESLA. I've been following the progress of TESLA through Hunny now for about 2-3 years and I've been very excited about the prospects of a medium/long-range electric vehicle. At the same time, I've know that at the advertised prices have been far too high for serious consideration. That said, since we were in Chicago on other business this Saturday, I figured that a test drive would give me an idea if I'd been playing make-believe all along as to whether this concept would work for me someday. Needlesstosay, it was as good as I had imagined...and BETTER! The Tesla Model S is the most remarkable vehicle that I have personally been in, much less driven. It is beautiful. A stylish, sport sedan that seats five adults (honestly). Many people describe it as "driving a computer," and while that sounds like a silly way to phrase it, after days of thinking about how to describe it, it is one of the best. It is silky, smooth, quiet ride. What amazed me is that the vehicle is SO responsive that it seems the car responds to my *thought* (tho I know that isn't true); it is just that there is NO delay between the moment of thought when I begin the action to manipulate the car, and it's response. I've NEVER ridden in a car that had the fantastic acceleration that was just plain FUN! The use of regenerative braking in the TESLA vehicle is different than EVERY other hybrid/EV regen braking product that I've driven. Instead of simply being a super-sensitive (almost painfully sensitive) brake pedal, the TESLA decelerates briskly when the pressure on the accelerator is released. So, instead of using the brake in most traffic situations, you simply "feather" the accelerator to achieve speed control, using the brakes only to stop the very last front momentum at a full stop (or an emergency stop, of course!) The inside of the vehicle is top-notch comfort. All the buttons/knobs needed to personalize the driver area are within comfortable reach. One of the features that I love is that the navigation system can move into the main panel beside the speedometer, so it improves operational safety. The tech system available is remarkable; it really must be seen to be believed. Large, responsive touchscreen for routine navigation system, web-surfing, tune-in and slacker radio (XM extra), I think every electric system of the care is accessible through this screen with extraordinary personalization for each driver available (far more than seat position, etc). There is a front and rear trunk. One of the neat features is the optional jump seats that fold into the rear trunk area for children, age 3-10 years, with five-point harness (when equipped, allow for 7 passenger seating!) If the Leaf is like visiting the beauty of the Texas Hill Country in spring (which I love!); the TESLA is The Million-Dollar Highway between Silverton and Ouray, Colorado, in the San Juans, with glorious, jaw-dropping vistas of unbelievable beauty and magnitude around every corner. There is just no words to describe it; it is something that must be experienced….a truly revolutionary vehicle. PS. We visted the Skoki, IL sales center near Chicago. If you decide to stop in, talk with Evan O'Donnell, he was great! :)

No comments: