"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." ~the Grey Pilgrim

Take a peek, into my world!

Monday, September 17, 2012

Chef, huh?

Taking a break from my review of grace...

I was experimenting with a Facebook app this morning, and apparently my "Profession by Birth" is CHEF...really???  Does anyone that knows me, think "chef"?!?!?

Interestingly though, since we have moved to the new house, I've been planning to get started on meal planning and focusing on expanding my *very* limited selection of meals for Hunny and me.  Over the years of our marriage, Hunny has been extremely gracious regarding my cooking attempts, and the intermittent nature of my cooking.  I don't tend to cook a lot.  I have blamed my inexperience (that is, I don't feel like I'm a good cook), lack of time, small kitchen, poorly-stocked pantry (and I still don't know how to maintain a "properly" stocked pantry, but that's another subject), and whatever else ... my list is seemingly endless.

Then I discovered Pinterest.com; suddenly, what recipe websites and various books couldn't do, occured...I'm truly motivated.

So, I will probably intermittently blog about my cooking adventures.  As I stated previously, I am eternally grateful for Hunny's willingness to try new recipes, and offer constructive comments without making me feel like an idoit. :)

So, without an further ado, on to the food! :)  Wish I had some awesome pictures, but I don't...sorry!

Ok, so I looked through my Pinterest recipes and found four that I wanted to try.  Chicken Spagetti from the Pioneer Woman, Chicken Enchiladas V from BookCooking.net, Pasta Pie from Noble Pig, and lastly Cream Cheese Spagetti from Plain Chicken blog.

I went shopping and bought all my ingredients, which in and of itself it a MAJOR accomplishment, as I *hate* shopping, but specifically grocery shopping.  Then, I made an executive decision, I left the meat in the frig.  See in my world, either the frig OR the freezer is a bad place for the meat to be, because I either I forget the meat, and it spoils in the frig; or I can't use it when I want to from the freezer...overall, both BAD things!  So, time went by, and I just KNEW that meat would spoil before I had a chance to do anything with it.  Remembering something that I had read on Menus4Moms site, I browned the ground beef, sealed it and froze it.  Chopped up the chicken, cooked it and froze it.  Miracle of miracles, my meat didn't spoil!

Now, the first night after grocery shopping, realization struck...cooking and de-boning a chicken is much less difficult or time consuming that I remembered.  My first recipe attempt that night was the Chicken Spagetti, and it was yummy!  Hunny gave it 8/10 stars.  The recipe made enough for one small and one medium casserole.  So, we ate one, and froze the other for when my parents are here this next week.  Definitely, a keeper!

Then last night, it was Chicken Enchiladas...and it got mixed reviews.  I didn't mind it, though I thought the chili powder could be toned down; but Hunny didn't really like it at all.  He ate enough "to fill my tummy," but didn't enjoy it; rating it 4/10 stars.  So, we threw out the extra pan that I was planning to freeze.  The good news is that I got a simple, but reportedly YUMMY, chicken enchilada recipe from my friend, Emily.  So, all hope is not lost on the chicken enchilada front! :D

Last night, I miraculously remembered to take out some cooked ground beef; gonna try the Cream Cheese Spagetti tonight.  Hunny is hesitant, as he isn't a big fan of cream cheese; and he *LOVES* regular spagetti.  I'm just hoping that it is different enough to be good, but not so weird as to freak him out!  I'll report back later tonight on the results...

~Tik

PS.  Oh, I did try a cold pie yesterday too, Butterfinger Pie from Food.com.  Modified it; I made it in an oreo ready-made crust...really good, but SUPER rich...so just small servings!

ETA: To start off, the cream cheese spagetti was a hit! 7/10 stars...and this was with the "wrong" seasoning tonight. Initially, I was really worried, because it didn't look to impressive at all...here is a dinky picture of it.

Made the 9X13 pan tonight, as we want to try the leftovers tomorrow.  Reportedly they are really yummy!  I think this will freeze well, I'll try that next time...  ~Tik

ETA Again:  This was fantastic leftover!  Definitely going on the routine menu plan!  ~Tik


No comments: